25,79 km cycling route from Vichy to Puy-Guillaume
Elevation of the stage
Waytypes of the stage
Surface of the stage
The Via Allier cycle route from Vichy to Puy-Guillaume
From central Vichy, you need to cross the Allier to rejoin the greenway beside the river. It’s an easy ride up to the town of Saint-Yorre, where the greenway comes to a temporary end at the level of the bridge, awaiting its future continuation. Sticking to the same riverbank, leave St-Yorre via the D434 road to continue to St-Priest-Bramefant. At the roundabout, go straight on, then turn immediately left, heading for St-Priest-Bramefant via the D433, a small road. Leaving this village, continue towards Limons, the cycle route leading you back close to the Allier at Port de Ris, where the Dore River joins the Allier. At Limons, cross the Allier via the bridge to reach Puy-Guillaume.
Towards the Domaine Royal de Randan, on leaving St-Priest-Bramefant (the way is signposted)
- Randan : the grounds of the Domaine Royal de Randan. The gardens and grounds, covering 100 hectares, constitute one of the most significant French landscape creations dating back to the first half of the 19th century.
- Église Saint-Jean-Baptiste : this parish church dates from the 15th and 16th centuries. It was enlarged and restored between 1843 and 1845 by order of Adélaïde d'Orléans, a French royal princess.
- Ris : the church of Sainte-Croix, part of a former Cluniac priory. This significant religious building was begun in the 10th century. The choir and transept were rebuilt later, while the vaulted nave was a very early example of this type of architecture, although later elevated. The lovely 15th-century wall paintings have been restored.
- Espace naturel Sensible du Bec de Dore at the confluence of the Dore and Allier Rivers. Long known to naturalists for its natural environment (now protected) and its heritage. In this area so marked by two rivers meeting, the water system includes areas where the flow can be significant and then boires, arms of water that, in drier months, are cut off from the river current.
- Markets : Randan – Friday morning; Puy-Guillaume – Wednesday morning
- No railway station along this stage
- Regional bus at Puy-Guillaume: Vichy, Ambert